I've been rolling a world concept around in my head for a while now, but I only just got around to putting it in action. For ages I've wanted norns that can actually defend themselves against the Jungle grendels of Creatures 3, because every single time I've had a wolfling run with grendels as an obstacle, the grendels parked themselves right in the middle of the norn terrarium, turning the once highly populated region into a ghost town because the norns were simply too stupid to fight back or even run away. This world won't produce a lot of norns who can do that straight away, but the rules of the world should favor those who are more inclined to defend themselves. I'm calling it a pack run for lack of better words, and I will now explain the rules of the run! To avoid complications, the starting population will be exempt from a good portion of these rules.
- Whenever a norn becomes pregnant, she will stay in the learning room until her child becomes an adolescent. This effectively removes her from the gene pool for about 20 minutes, slowing the population growth down significantly. As the nursery is very well protected, the doors are locked from the inside and out. (Read as: this makes it a lot easier for me to manage. The child will also be temporarily moved to the norn meso for the sole purpose of learning their vocabulary because I don't have the patience for manual vocab teaching.)
- When a norn reaches adolescence, they are taught to hit grendels by using a dummy. This happens by the teleporter.
- When they reach the youth stage, they are given a good meal and lots of rest, as they now have to kill a grendel to be allowed to remain in the pack. There are three outcomes to this trip to the jungle. The first is that they kill a grendel, and are allowed to return. The second is that they die in battle or thanks to disease. The third is that they exit the jungle without having killed a grendel, and are exiled to the desert.
- If a grendel enters the norn terrarium, all adult norns not in the nursery are sent to fight it off. If things start to look bad, the adolescents will be sent in.
- If a norn does something notable or lives to old age, they will be given a title, typically relating to their personality or their notable achievement.
After a bit of world preparation, everything's ready to start! The grendel mother has been disabled until all norn eggs have hatched. They're also going to be named using a modified Protective Tub autonamer.
No grendels have been born yet, but I suspect Lightning Strike or Lark Heart will be ready to take them on when they get here. If there's any ways you think I could improve on this concept, please let me know! Hopefully, the population survives beyond a few generations.